Monday, December 12, 2011

Taking a Great Big Bite Out of Life...



As a full-figured diva, it never ceases to amaze me how uncomfortable people are with other people's weight!!!

I used to be a size 10 and never once did I think about what it must be like for women who are considered plus-size or full-figured.  The fact that I can no longer just go to find intimate apparel that is sexy and stylish in my size is mind boggling.  The fact that I am now a size 22, I am more aware of how little society seems to care about full-figured women.  There are times when I feel like my confidence and strength throw people off.  It seems as if they cannot understand why I am not off berating myself for getting bigger.  Or that I am not secretly hoping for a magic pill to make me smaller.

I admit, when I realized that I had gained a lot of weight, it threw me for a loop.  I thought that no man would give me the time of day and even if they did, they would definitely not be the type of men I would want to be with.

It took me some time to not beat up on myself for my weight gain because that did not help me lose the weight.  What got me through the dark times is that I never became a wallflower, was never shy and always wanted to be the center of attention no matter what.  My desire to still be relevant and matter made me see myself in a new light.

Do you know how good I feel knowing that I love the skin I am in?  The fact that I know that my worth has nothing to do with my weight.  I see myself as a beautiful, strong black woman who values myself.

I have never been content to be that the fat, funny friend who can't get a man.  Far from it.  I am front and center in my own life.  In fact, I channel my inner Beyonce and enter all sitautions with confidence.

I am a diva.  I know that I am beautiful and it is joy when I see other full-figured divas recognizing their own worth.

Yes, we live in a society that places a premium on youth and thinness.  As a black woman, I am never going to be right or standard so I embrace all that I am.

As a full-figured diva, I look up to Queen Latifah, Jill Scott, Monique.  Seeing their success lets me know that I can do whatever I set my mind to do.

Big Girls matter.  We are changing and redefining how society sees us.  So world, step aside and let me show you how a Big Girl in the City lives life on her terms!!!  You with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...